What is mommy tummy?
Has anyone ever told you that you have a mommy tummy? You’re not alone. Many women struggle with this issue after they give birth. But what is a mommy tummy, and more importantly, how can you improve it? In this blog post, we’ll discuss the causes of a mommy tummy and ways to get rid of it. Keep reading to learn more!
In this blog you will learn:
- Learn what a mommy pooch is and the causes
- Get strategies to help you improve the appearance of your belly
- Avoid common mistakes that make your belly worse
The mommy pooch is a term used to describe that bulge in the middle of your belly after giving birth. The mommy pooch is caused by a weakening and stretching of the abdominal muscles – also known as our six pack. When this connective tissue weakens, you’ll see that it pulls apart in two along its midline to form what we call “the linea alba.” Protruding organs can occur if there’s enough separation for them; however this is in more extreme cases.
Every woman is different, which means that not every person will experience the same symptoms from diastasis recti. It all depends on your anatomy and how much abdominal separation there has been- if any at all!
How to improve the appearance of Mommy Tummy?
Mommy tummy is no joke. It can affect your confidence so severely and if you have it, then chances are you may be feeling like you’ll never feel like yourself again.
The bad news is that Mommy Tummy won’t go away on its own!
The great news is that you can make significant improvements to its appearance without any surgical intervention!
This requires a whole body approach but the main areas to focus on are:
- Improving core strength and abdominal separation.
- Lowering body fat levels.
- Improving rib flaring and posture.
- Massaging a c section scar when full healing has occurred.
Things you should avoid:
- Jumping into exercise too soon.
- Increasing intensity of exercise too fast.
- Using incorrect breathing strategies.
- Exercises that place too much pressure on the linea alba.
Our postnatal series guides you through safe and efficient workouts that improve mommy tummy all in the comfort of your own home. The great news is it is designed by a nutritionist, certified trainer and Registered Nurse, Sheridan Skye so you know that you are in great hands!